Saturday January 28th would be a day to remember in the history of the Asanteman Association of the Washington DC Metro Area as a new Asantefuohene and Asantefuohemaa along with the 2nd term of the current executive council were sworn into office.
Nana Kwame Darko, known in private life as Francis Darko, a retired Verizon Executive Officer and community leader was sworn in as the New Asantefuohene to take the place of Otafrebuor Nana Agyenim Boateng Pedie I, who has held the office for over fourteen years in dignity. Nana Foriwaah Nyarko Abronomaa known in private life as Mrs. Vida Owusu Asante a media personality of Highlife radio was also sworn in to replace Nana Ama Achiaa as Asantefuohemaa of the Washington Metro Area. The Association also sworn into office Nana Adjoa Pokuaa know in private life as Ms. Dinah Maame Pokuaa an RN as the Gyaasehemaaa.
The newly installed Chief and Queenmother swore the oath of allegiance in the presence of the members of the Asanteman Association of the Washington DC Metro Area after they were approved through a rigorous process by the council of elders of the association including Abusuapanin Frank Fofie, Mr Akwasi Owusu, Nana Akwasi Akuoko Mensah, Nana Baffour Awuah, Otafrebuor Nana Agyenim Boateng Pedie I, Bogyawehene and Amoafoman Akwamuhene. Mr Opoku Akyeampong Adadey, a.k.a Golash Adadey, the current President of the Association and Mrs. Harriet Amoah a representative of the Obaa Panin witnessed the swearing in.
Remarkable display of Ashanti traditional rites preceded the colorful event which was held at Springfield Virginia.
With a raised symbolic sword in hand the Chief and Queen mother swore the great oath of allegiance to Asanteman to pledge to be faithful and loyal to the service of Asanteman no matter the circumstances unless they are in anyway incapacitated by illness.
Nana Kwame Darko and Nana Foriwaah Nyarko Abronomaa expressed their profound appreciation to Asanteman for their immense support and cooperation in making the event a success. They were both hopeful that with the dawn of new leadership and change of baton their perceived projects would be rejuvenated. Nana Kwame Darko appealed to all Asanteman members to imbibe in them the spirit of unity to enable them build a stronger organization in line with their goals.
Mr. Golash Adadey, a US federal government Financial Management Systems Consultant, the current President was also sworn in with his executives for their second term in office.
As a democratic, non-profit, non-political and non-religious organization, the goals and objectives of the Asanteman Association are to:
* Unite Asantes in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
* Promote the social, moral, educational and the general welfare of its members.
* Provide a source of cultural enrichment, and promote interest, inform and educate the general community about Asante culture.
* To instill and inculcate in the youth the love and pride of Asante cultural heritage.
* Provide social networking and support for the members.
* Organize periodic workshops to educate members on pertinent issues, such as Asante culture and traditions, legal, immigration, health, employment, insurance, and investments.
* Project good image of Asantes in the Washington metro area.
* Support Asanteman development efforts by motivating and educating members to financially support educational, health and other social programs in Asanteman.
* Develop linkages to and networking with other African ethnic groups and participating in inter-cultural exchange programs.
* Assist the needy financially and in kind.
* Contribute to the development of the Washington Metropolitan area community by performing voluntary services.
An Executive Council headed by a President is the policy making body and is responsible for the general management of the Association.