Fifty people have been arrested in connection with the U.S. consulate attack that left several people dead, including ambassador Christopher Stevens, president of the Libyan national assembly, Mohammed Magarief, said.
Tripoli — President of the Libyan national assembly Mohammed Magarief said on Sunday that about 50 people have been arrested in connection with the deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week, which he said was planned by foreigners linked to al Qaeda.
The attack on Tuesday in Benghazi came amid protests over a video made in the United States that Muslims saw as blaspheming the Prophet Mohammad. It resulted in the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans.
Magarief said some of those arrested were not Libyans and were linked to al Qaeda, the militant Muslim group that carried out the 9/11 attacks on the United States.